Blog Background

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Summer by the Numbers

Can you guess who submitted her last final paper for the semester today???

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The end to this summer semester could not have come any sooner.  I. AM. EXHAUSTED.  The good news is I just simultaneously finished the last two statistics courses of my life.   Wow, that feels really good to say.  Of course, grades haven’t been posted yet, but I am hoping for the best.

I’ve missed keeping up with all you through the blogosphere.  To catch you up to speed on my life over this summer, here is a recap by the numbers.

Number of weeks in the semester: 12

Number of classes: 2

Number of graded assignments due over the 12 week semester: 69!!!

Yes, you read that correctly.

Number of pages of reading material: 1000s

Seriously, more than I can calculate.  Some weeks there were 300+ pages in addition to 3 or 4 graded assignments.

Number of statistics final exams: 1

Number of final papers due: 3

Number of pages for the first paper: 17

Number of pages for the second paper: 59

Number of pages for the third paper: 28

Number of jobs worked full-time while taking these two classes: 1

Number of blog posts written over the summer: 1 (wow, that is so pitiful.  Do you forgive me?)

Number of times tears were shed: I am embarrassed to comment on that one.

Number of days until fall classes begin: 13 (a.k.a. – not enough)

Ugh.

I read an article not too long ago in The Chronicle of Higher Education about how doctoral students often develop anxiety and paranoia complexes as a result of the constant pressure and judgment they face every day.  I whole heartedly agree with that claim.  To read the article click here.  It was pretty interesting.  Also, what the article describes is me in a nutshell at this particular point in time.

Also, the article mentioned this really great comic strip website for Ph.D. students.  I included an example below because it is really fitting for this stage of my life.  What this comic strip expresses is SO true.  For those of you who are experiencing this or have experienced it, does it make you want to laugh or cry because I am not sure?  Source: www.phdcomics.com

phd053104s

1 comment:

  1. I almost want to cry for you! Enjoy those twelve days as much as possible! We missed you at the farm! I can't wait to see you, but I don't know when that will be since school is about to start up for me {and Colby}. I'll email you about all of that. Love you!

    ReplyDelete